Friday, April 17, 2009

Quote of the Day

Tyler Hamilton riding for Rock Racing (Reuters Photo)
You've probably all heard the story by now about American cyclist Tyler Hamilton annoucing his retirement after testing positive for the steroid DHEA, apparently the result of taking an over-the-counter anti-depressant. I was just reading the story about it on ESPN Cycling and couldn't help notice a quote from Michael Ball, owner of the Rock Racing team for which Hamilton rides. He said, and I quote...
"For him to have to retire on this note is a very tough pill to swallow"
Strikes me as a bit of a poor choice of words, but more than likely entirely unintended. Either way, I can't help but feel a bit for Hamilton. I know taking performance enhancers and doping is a very serious issue in cycling, as it should be, but it really pales in comparison to the effects of suffering from depression. Here's hoping that Hamilton can win this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment