Friday, April 10, 2009

999K to go...

Hopefully, that will be my most eventful ride of the season. The weather and forecast for the Toronto area was very promising this morning, so I set-off with the target of riding 60k. Right from the get-go, it seemed to be a little cooler than I had expected, but it was clear and sunny and supposed to go to a comfortable 10*C, so I hung in there and headed north up Bayview Ave.

It being Good Friday, traffic was pretty light, which is always good, but what little wind there was was right in my face. Other than making it colder than I like for riding, things were going generally good. I found my legs about 11-12k in, but then at the 19k mark, disaster struck. I pounded over a very small pothole I didn't see coming and punctured both tires. That's a 100% increase in punctures over my entire season and 1154k last year, and I'm only 200k in for '09.

To make matters worse, I didn't realize the front was gone until I had fixed the back with my only spare tube. That left me in a bit of a predicament. I tried to call my wife to come to my rescue, but no got answer. My only option was to try to patch glue what was left of the front tube, which I thought was torn beyond repair. Fortunately the patch held and I got back on the road.

I thought about heading home since I now had no repair options left if I got another puncture, but I figured I'd come this far so I might as well carry on. Back into the cold wind and a few stops to add pressure to the front (I guess the patch wasn't perfect) and I totalled out at 60.15k.

Now I'm off to Spokes and Sports for as many new tubes as I carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment