Monday, June 22, 2009

The Agony of Defeat

If you’re old enough to remember, back in the 70’s and early 80’s, the intro to ABC’s Wide World of Sports included a clip of a ski jumper falling on his way down the take-off ramp and spilling over the side. That iconic clip of course became forever linked to what athletes know as “the agony of defeat”. For some reason, that clip popped into my mind while I was riding yesterday and I couldn’t help thinking that I wished I was that guy instead of being where I was. What’s my point? Simply put, my ride yesterday can only be described as a horrible train wreck. That ski guy had it good in comparison.

Sunday's TBN group heading north on Dufferin
Sunday's TBN group on the 116k route, heading
north on Dufferin
It all started out well enough. I showed up well in advance for the 10 am scheduled group ride with the TBN and opted to go with the group doing the 116k route. The weather was great, although the temperature was slowly climbing and it was somewhat humid. We started out at a very slow pace of only about 20kmh and stayed at that for the first 15k at least. On two occasions, I went to the front to do some pacing and turned it up a bit to about 25kmh. Each time I looked back though, no one had grabbed my wheel. I was alone off the front with the group intact about 500m behind. So both times I just sat up and drifted back to the group.

Then the first of my problems began. At about the 20k mark, I started to develop a stitch and that made it very difficult to find a good breathing rhythm. Unfortunately, the next 20k were pretty much uphill and into a pretty stiff headwind, so I couldn’t shake it. It wasn’t until a turn at the 40k mark and a slight downhill respite that the stitch finally dissipated and I got back into a comfortable cadence. Because of my stitch though, I didn’t feel like drinking a lot, which is where my real trouble began.

Over the next 15-20k, I finished off bottle #1 and was just starting bottle #2. I took one sip from #2, but as I went to put it back into its cage, it slipped from my fingers and starting skittering along the pavement. I glanced back just in time to see a guy about 5 lengths behind me go right over top of it. Fortunately for him, he hit it square and the pressure of his wheel popped the top allowing the bottle to collapse. It could have easily taken him down and that could have been messy. He actually apologized for crushing my bottle, but I told him I was just glad he didn’t take a spill. I couldn’t care less about the bottle.

The lower part of the Weston Wall
The lower part of the Weston Wall.
 
The upper part of the Weston Wall
The upper part of the Weston Wall.
It's as steep as it looks.
Unfortunately though, I lost a full bottle of Gatorade and now had nothing to drink with a good 20k still to go to the rest stop. Over that distance, the first real signs of dehydration started to show. Some minor leg cramps and the first sign that I was losing power. At this point, I decided to try a Powerbar Gel that I brought along, but I honestly have to say that I didn’t notice that being of any real benefit. Just a pile of goop in my mouth that I couldn’t wash down, and no noticeable increase in my energy level.

At the rest stop, I reloaded on liquids, had a bite to eat and drank as much as I could. After a good half hour break though, back on the bike I still had nothing. I stayed with a couple of other riders for a bit, but as soon as we hit the first real hill, I was done. They were gone and there was no way I could muster any kind of strength to stay in touch. And the worst was yet to come.

This particular route returns back south towards Toronto on Weston Road, which has a hill that is affectionately known as The Weston Wall. If I had to guess, I say this hill climbs about 9000ft in probably about a half a kilometer (OK…that’s a gross exaggeration, but you get my point). With nothing in the tank I had no choice but to stop halfway up and try to recover a bit. After a 10 minute break, I jumped back on and forced myself over the top, but that pretty much finished me off. The next 15k, it was all I could do to turn the pedals. I spotted a convenience store and running low on drink again, decided I better pull over and reload. As soon as I stepped off the bike, both of my legs completely knotted up. I managed to struggle myself to a sitting position on the sidewalk, and after about 10 minutes my legs had loosened enough that I could once again stand. I wobbled my way into the store and grabbed a Gatorade for the roughly 25k still to go. During my stop, another rider from our original group showed up at the store, so we finished out the ride together. The rest was pretty much all downhill and with the exception of a few minor cramps was relatively easy. I was indescribably glad to see the parking lot and the end of a 4h45 (riding time), 115.7k disaster.

It was one of those days that I just couldn’t wait to get off the bike, and it’s clear that I bit off more than I could chew. I hadn’t been on my bike in 8 days and I obviously wasn’t ready for the distance. And once you start to get dehydrated, it’s pretty much all over, at least for me. The only good news is that I’m now just over 80k from my goal for year.

10 comments:

  1. Good read, thanks. So basically what happened is you BONKED. This was sort of a dehydration bonk, but all the same effect. Some would say you had it coming right from the beginning - surging off the front is a bit of a newbie faux pas on group rides; it was admirable of them they didn't try to chase you, and instead kept the group together. Yesterday my group rode 137 km with a heat index of 106 by the end of the ride (actually we're under a heat advisory until 7:PM today). It was what I'd call a moderately fast-paced ride (32-36 kmh on the flats), but we all stayed together the entire ride because no one was surging off the front, or yo-yoing off the back (well there was a little of this toward the end of the ride as the less fit riders worked to stay on). We stopped every 30-40 km and drank lots of water, and lots of gatorade, and everyone ate as much as they could besides. Long rides - eat. Long hot rides - eat and drink! Losing your bottle is a problem - maybe there wasn't much you could have done, but at leats now you've learned that drinking lots of water is really important. And yes, a proper BONK does feel a bit of agony, and is self-defeating, and can take several days to get over. Have fun riding, and maybe brush up on paceline rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you had a physically challenging ride. It was nice someone was able to ride with you the last 25K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I bonked big time. I meant to use that term specifically in my story, but forgot. Oh well. Just to clarify though, I wasn't trying to surge off the front. I merely moved to the front to take my turn and set what I thought was a reasonable pace but the group didn't buy in. When I realized they didn't, I immediately sat up both times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owe! that is a hard ride - bonking sucks! I was recently told a good rule of thumb for hydration is: drink at least 16 oz of water one hour prior to the ride (enough time for the body to absorb and get rid off excess before you get on the bike) and then 2 to 3 pulls from your bottle every 15 minutes, regardless of feeling thirsty or not. Worked well so far for me (but I have not lost a bottle yet). I love the look of the Weston Wall with its 9000 feet of climbing - glorious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg (avid_cyclist)June 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM

    Doug ...sorry to hear about your ride yesterday. I'm also relatively knew to this game, but this what I've learned. I buy the gatorade powder and use 1/3 of the recommended amount. There is far too much sugar in the product and it can cause rapid rise and crash of your blood sugar. The 1/3 recipe works well. Also, when riding with TBN, at your first stop buy a 1/2 quart of chocolate milk. It has been proven that it's recovery rate is second to none. Also, on the long rides bring two hammer gels with you. Transfer them to small 4 oz squirt bottles. Drink 1 at the 1/3 mark and the second at the 2/3 mark. My last piece of advice is to do the TBN rides with a partner. that way if either of you bonk and get dropped from the pack, you at least have someone to ride through with. I usually do a TBN ride on Sundays. let me know when you are going again ...Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the support group that is the Internet. Since my posting, I've gotten lots of great advice through comments, twitter and even emails. It's awesome. Still waiting to hear from Lance Armstrong though.

    I've been using Gatorade powder, but in the recommended amounts. Never thought of dialing it back but will try it. I actually may switch to GU20. Tried a sample pack a few weeks back and that seemed to work well. Hopefully this past Sunday was a bit of an anomaly. I seemed to do everything wrong as far as proper hydration goes, combined with a bit of dumb luck.

    Still need some convincing on the gels, but chances are I was past the point of no return when I tried mine on Sunday. And unfortunately, I don't think a partner would have appreciated riding with me on Sunday...unless they take pleasure in watching someone crash and burn. :-)

    I think I really need to get out for at least some short rides during the week. I'm pretty sure the 8 day gap was a killer.

    Please keep the advice coming. You guys will turn me into a cyclist yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think some short rides through the week would do you good. I just did 37k this morning and feel great and still have the afternoon for errands. A couple more good hills are up behind the horse stables at Sunnybrook park leading to the soccer and cricket fields and the Beachwood hill up from the K9 unit in the valley. I also have gooten a lot of good tips here. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time I rode the Weston Wall, I had a blow out and then bonked. When the dehydration starts it's next to impossible to reverse while riding.
    I hope your next ride is better and no water bottles get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may want to give gels another try. It was once explained to me (after a bonk) that gels do no good if there isn't enough fluid to wash them down...if your stomach doesn't have enough fluid, it will, in essence, use any that your system has in order to digest the gel, thereby depleting fluids your muscles require.

    Garen had an excellent point regarding the paceline. It's not an individual's job to set a reasonable pace, but moreso it's the front person's job to maintain the pace that's already been set. Generally, the pace will be right for the long haul.

    If one needs more of a workout, s/he stays on the front longer (rather than going faster...which causes "rubberband-ing" to those farther back in the group). Those who need an easier time of it stay protected -- that way everyone rides together. Riding at the front = 30% more effort than being in the draft -- adds up over the long miles! And it allows riders of differing fitness levels to ride together.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've already bought some new gels actually. This time I went for some GU2O's rather than PowerBar brand though. Very interesting comment about the lack of water affecting gel performance. Seems logical. Great advice on the pacing too. I'm so used to solo riding that I actually found staying at the slower pace a little difficult. It was my natural tendency to ride the little faster pace. Given that I bonked though, I'm wishing I just stayed at the back where I belonged, although I don't think that would have saved me. I wasn't off the front long enough to do any damage.

    ReplyDelete